“Beauty”, is a divine term. It has many meanings. In this quote, I emphasize the importance of beauty for peace, tranquility, happiness, and the purification of the mind. Depending on your mindset and context, the meaning of beauty can differ. The word “beauty” can include kindness, good words, polite behavior, good appearance, positive thoughts, natural beauty, and higher spirituality.
In this article, I discuss how you can incorporate beauty into your life by following the top 21 practices, exploring the neuroscience of beauty, understanding the spirituality of beauty, and reciting the mantra of beauty, omnipresence, and truth – Satyam Shivam Sundaram.
The mind is often cluttered with negative thoughts, worries, and fears, and this can lead to stress and anxiety. However, when you take a moment to appreciate the beauty around you, it can help you clear your mind of negative thoughts. You will also experience a sense of calm and peace. In this article, we explore the significance of beauty in your lives and how it can help purify your mind.
Top 21 practices for looking beauty in the world
I want to draw your attention to the importance of beauty as the first step towards cleansing your mind. At times, your mind can be filled with unpleasant thoughts, anxieties, and fears, leading to stress and anxiety.
However, if you take a few moments out of your day to appreciate the beauty around you, it can help clear your mind of negative thoughts. Moreover, you will feel relaxed and at peace with the world. Let’s explore how beauty is relevant in your everyday lives and how it can aid in purifying your minds. Here’s a brief explanation of each of the 21 practices for looking beauty in the world for purifying the mind, relaxation, and happiness:
- Take a walk-in nature: Spending time in nature has been shown to have a calming effect on the mind and body, and can help us connect with the beauty of the natural world.
- Watch the sunrise or sunset: The changing colors of the sky during these times can be incredibly beautiful and awe-inspiring, and can help us appreciate the beauty of the natural world.
- Visit a park or art gallery: Contemplating beautiful works of art can be a meditative experience, allowing us to connect with the beauty of the human spirit.
- Listen to beautiful music: Music has the power to evoke emotions and can help us feel more relaxed and uplifted.
- Read a good book or poem: Literature can inspire us with its beauty and wisdom, and can help us connect with our own inner beauty.
- Surround yourself with beautiful objects: Having beautiful objects around you can help create a peaceful and inspiring environment.
- Spend time with beautiful people: Being around kind, positive, and beautiful people can help us feel more joyful and connected.
- Meditate on the beauty of the present moment: Focusing on the present moment and letting go of worries and distractions can help us connect with the beauty of the present moment.
- Do something creative: Expressing our own creativity can help us connect with our own inner beauty and find joy and fulfillment in the creative process.
- Practice self-care: Taking care of your own physical and emotional needs can help us feel more relaxed, joyful, and radiant.
- Seek out beautiful places: Traveling to new destinations and seeking out beautiful places can help us experience the beauty of the world and connect with different cultures and perspectives.
- Connect with your spiritual beauty: Engaging in spiritual practices such as prayer or meditation can help us connect with the beauty of our own spiritual nature.
- Focus on the beauty within yourself: Recognizing and appreciating our own unique qualities and strengths can help us connect with our own inner beauty and feel more confident and joyful.
- Practicing gratitude and expressing appreciation to others can help you recognize the beauty in the world around you and appreciate the people in your life who bring you joy and happiness.
- Speaking up for others and standing up for what is right can create a more just and equitable world, which is a beautiful and inspiring vision.
- Surrounding yourself with positive, supportive people can create a beautiful and uplifting environment that nurtures your well-being and fosters positive relationships.
- Performing acts of kindness and random acts of kindness can create a ripple effect of beauty, as your actions can inspire others to act in kind and create a more compassionate and caring world.
- Cultivating forgiveness and letting go of grudges can help you release negative emotions and free yourself from the burdens that can prevent you from recognizing the beauty in your life.
- Respecting and valuing the opinions and perspectives of others can create a more beautiful and respectful discourse that is focused on finding common ground and fostering mutual understanding.
Beauty and Spirituality
The Importance of Beauty
It is believed that beauty is a manifestation of the divine and is present in all aspects of creation. This includes not only the natural world but also the realm of human experience, such as art, music, literature, and spiritual practices. Beauty is not just limited to physical appearances but is rather seen as an essential aspect of the universe.
The pursuit of beauty is seen as an essential part of human life, as it can inspire and uplift the human spirit, leading to a greater appreciation of the world around us. It is also believed that the cultivation of beauty can help us develop greater compassion, wisdom, and a deeper understanding of our place in the world.
Beauty is Truth, Truth is Beauty: Connection with the divine
People have long sought to connect with the divine through the natural world, which has led to the creation of various spiritual practices and beliefs that incorporate the beauty of the cosmos. One way to connect with the cosmic beauty and spirituality is through the use of mantras. ‘Beauty is truth, truth is beauty’ is perhaps the most famous statement Keats ever wrote.
By focusing on beauty, we can train our minds to look for the good in the world, even in difficult or challenging situations. This can help us develop a more positive and optimistic outlook on life, leading to greater happiness and fulfillment.
Satyam Shivam Sundaram
The phrase “Stayam Shivam Sundaram” translates to “Truth, Goodness, and Beauty,” and according to Indian philosophy, these three virtues are intimately connected. This is the mantra of adoring the Supreme Truth, Supreme Goodness, and the Supreme Beauty.
If you go beyond your own preconceived conceptions, you’ll find that Satyam, or the ultimate truth, is what really exists. The word Shivam refers to a state of perfect health, harmony, and unity.
Sundaram signifies beauty. Its beauty may be seen in a flower that opens its petals, a sunrise that glistens in the morning sky, or a dancing bird that soars through the air. This awareness of beauty is itself blossoming into its full potential.
In the context of “Stayam Shivam Sundaram,” this quote highlights the importance of beauty as an essential component of a healthy and balanced life. The phrase “Stayam Shivam Sundaram” translates to “Truth, Goodness, and Beauty,” and according to Indian philosophy, these three virtues are intimately connected. The pursuit of truth and goodness must be done in a way that celebrates and upholds the beauty of the world around us.
The Mantra – Stayam Shivam Sundaram:
सत्यं शिवं सुन्दरं निरीक्ष्यम् शुद्धचित्तम् प्रशान्तमानसम्।
आनन्दरूपं सकलं ज्ञात्वा शिवरूपं अमृतं प्रणमाम्यहम्॥
– श्री अमित राय् ।
satyaṃ śivaṃ sundaraṃ nirīkṣyam śuddhacittam praśāntamānasam।
ānandarūpaṃ sakalaṃ jñātvā śivarūpaṃ amṛtaṃ praṇamāmyaham॥-
Looking at the truth, auspiciousness, and beauty, With a pure and tranquil mind.
Realizing the complete knowledge and bliss, I bow down to the ultimate reality,
The infinite consciousness of all that is.
The Sanskrit syllables for the sloka for chanting:
sat-yaṃ śi-vaṃ sun-da-raṃ ni-rī-kṣyam
ā-nan-da-rū-paṃ sa-ka-laṃ jñāt-vā
śi-va-rū-paṃ am-ṛ-taṃ pra-ṇa-mā-myaham॥
Neuroscience of beauty
Natural Beauty for Stress Reduction: Modern Research
Research has shown that exposure to natural beauty can reduce stress, anxiety, and depression (Bratman et al., 2012; Ulrich et al., 1991).
Even just looking at a picture of a beautiful natural scene can have a calming effect on our minds and bodies. This is because when we look at beauty, our brains release dopamine, a chemical that is associated with pleasure and happiness (Berridge, 1996).
Dopamine not only makes us feel good, but it also helps to reduce the levels of cortisol, the hormone responsible for stress (Zhang et al., 2007).
In addition to reducing stress, taking time to appreciate beauty can also help to improve our focus and concentration (Berman et al., 2008). By taking a break from our daily routines and immersing ourselves in a beautiful experience, we can recharge our minds and return to our tasks with renewed energy and focus.
Furthermore, appreciating beauty can also help to foster a sense of gratitude and appreciation for the world around us. It can help us to develop a deeper connection to nature and to recognize the interconnectedness of all things. This, in turn, can lead to a greater sense of purpose and meaning in life.
The natural environment has a profound impact on human health and well-being. Research has shown that exposure to natural environments can reduce stress and anxiety, and promote feelings of relaxation and calmness. One of the ways that this occurs is through the effects of greenness on cortisol and stress.
Cortisol is a hormone that is released in response to stress. When cortisol levels are elevated for prolonged periods, it can have negative effects on physical and mental health. However, exposure to natural environments has been shown to reduce cortisol levels, which can help to reduce stress and improve overall health.
A systematic review of the effects of greenness on cortisol and stress found that exposure to green environments, such as parks and forests, was associated with significant reductions in cortisol levels (Zhang et al., 2017). This suggests that spending time in nature can help to reduce stress and promote a sense of calmness and relaxation.
In addition to the physiological effects of greenness on cortisol and stress, there is also the power of beauty to consider. Beauty has a profound impact on human emotions and can evoke feelings of awe, wonder, and inspiration. When we take the time to appreciate the beauty around us, it can help to clear our minds of negative thoughts and emotions, and promote feelings of calmness and peace.
Research has shown that exposure to beautiful natural environments can have significant psychological benefits, including reducing symptoms of depression and anxiety, and improving mood and overall well-being (Bratman et al., 2012; Ryan et al., 2010). This highlights the importance of incorporating beauty into our daily lives, whether it be through spending time in nature or simply taking a moment to appreciate the beauty around us.
In conclusion, taking a moment to appreciate the beauty around us is not just a pleasant experience, but it can also have significant benefits for our mental health and well-being. By making a conscious effort to seek out and appreciate beauty, we can reduce stress, improve focus, and foster a deeper sense of gratitude and appreciation for life.