The purpose of Maha Shivaratri fasting is to prepare your body and mind to get the blessings of Lord Shiva. Shiva Puja, night vigil and fasting are the three key aspects of Mahashivarati. Here, we discussed some of the basic rules for the Shiva Worship during Shivaratri.
Shivratri fasting is extremely auspicious. There are two types of fasting strict form of fasting and light form of fasting. The strict form of fasting consists of abstaining from food, drinks and water. The milder form of fasting allows consuming milk, water and fruits.
It is said that Lord Shiva is very fond of milk. Each year Shiva devotees offer milk to the Shiva lingam. Milk is also consumed widely during the vrat. Both milk and milk based foods are popular during the vrat.
The most important aspect of the fasting is abstaining from bad thoughts, bad company and bad words. The devotee must practice virtues and keep away from all evils.
When the devotee observes a fast with discipline and spends the entire day at the feet of Lord Shiva, his/her mind is controlled. Fasting with sincerity and uttering the names of Lord Shiva with perfect devotion purifies the soul and five energy bodies. It is believed, that such a devotee reaches the abode of Lord Shiva and lives there happily and get liberation from the cycle of birth and death.
Prayer and Night Vigils
Prayers and night vigils go on throughout the night of Maha Sivaratri, what also makes the festival special is the whole night worship and celebration. The fasting on Shivratri starts at dawn and continues over the day and night. The fasting must conclude only on the next day morning.
The specialty of this Shivaratri is that the marriage of Shiva and Parvati was completed on this day. And so on this day married men and women worship Shiva by fasting without water to spend their married life happily. Also unmarried women fast to get a good husband like Shiva.
Four Separate Mantras to Worship Lord Shiva
Shivaratri is observed in the night in four ways, in the four parts of the night. When Shivaratri is observed in right way with devotion, the result is obtained. Worship Lord Shiva on this day with four separate mantras. Know all those rules.
1. In the first part, worship with milk with the mantra “Hring Ishanaya Namah”.
2. In the second part of the night, worship with curd with the mantra “”Hring Aghoriya Namah”.
3. In the third part of the night, worship with ghee with the mantra “Hring Bamdevaya Namah”.
4. At the end of all, in the fourth, morning, worship Lord Shiva by bathing with honey with the mantra “Hring Sadyojataya Namah”.
Chanting the names of Lord Shiva and listening to the glories of the Lord are the most beneficial activities advised for the devotees.
Summary of Shivratri Puja
1. You have to wake up in the morning, take a bath in sesame water in the morning and cleanse yourself.
2. Worship Shiva by fasting, without water all day long. If you can’t fast alone, you should eat fruits and milk..
3. At four parts of the night, Shiva is bathed four times with milk, curd, ghee, and honey with proper mantra.
4. Mahadev will be satisfied if you give belpata, akanda flower, kusum, sandalwood for puja.
5. Milk and milk products should be offered to Shiva.
Shivratri fasting and night vigil and puja is extremely auspicious. May Lord Shiva Bless you all!